Thursday 1 October 2009

Converting to a 3D mask

(Mask from front and side views after all points have been pulled forward to their correct position)

After the completion of the 2D mask, I now have to convert it into a 3 dimensional object.
I did this by using the left viewport and initially pulling all of the vertices out to the front of the face so that they showed the outline of the right side of my facial profile.

I then pulled out all of the other vertices on my face in the left viewport so that each vertex was carefully positioned where it needed to go, ensuring that every line ran smoothly and there were no sharp angles. Using the see-through option (ctrl-x), it enabled me to easily see the image behind to pull the lines out accurately. The see-through option is very useful because it makes the selected object transparent, so you know where it is, but can also work on the object behind.

This part of the assignment was fairly difficult. The reason for this is that it was quite difficult to work out exactly where each vertex needed to go. I was able to use the blue lines that I had drawn on the left view to position the vertices, but there were still many vertices that needed to be positioned 'by eye' which made things relatively complicated. Once all of the vertices were in place, I then moved them around so that all of the lines ran smoothly across the image of the face.

(3D mask in perspective view)

The image above shows the 3D mask in perspective view. I have ensured that all of the lines are smooth and that there are no sharp edges. Some of the vertices needed to be re-positioned so that the contours on my face were correct (e.g. the high cheek bone protrudes further than the middle of my cheek).

(3D Mask in all views)

As can be seen from the image above, all three views can be used to manipulate the 3D mask that I have created. The perspective view is best for narrowing or widening the mask, as you can pull out or draw in vertices easily to make the face fatter or thinner, or to provide extra character to the facial features. The front view is ideal for ensuring that my mask is the correct width and I use the side view to ensure the correct depth is matched.


(Face mirrored onto the left side)


Using the mirror tool (Right), I was easily able to create the left side of my face so that it matched the right side. To do this, I selected the object then clicked the mirror tool. I then made sure that the mirror axis was set for 'Z' and the clone selection was set for 'Reference'.

The clone then needed to be positioned so that it just about connected to the left side of my face. By using the mirror tool, it now means that I can move any vertex around on the left side of my face, and the right hand side will also move in a mirror fashion, making sure that whenever I alter the left side of my face, the right side changes too.



No comments:

Post a Comment