Tuesday 27 October 2009

Setting the units

Before opening 3D Studio Max and creating the model, I decided to obtain a conversion table, so that I could convert Centimeters to feet, and visa versa. The table that I found on the Internet was the one below:

(Conversion table)

Using this conversion table, I will keep to the measurements of the pump, which will be particularly useful in later stages when the group collates ideas.

Now that I have the correct conversion data, the next thing that I did was to change the unit settings in 3D Studio Max. To do this, I went to Customize - Units setup, then made sure metric and centimetres were selected. I then clicked system unit setup, and again selected centimetres. This then changed the measurements within 3D Studio Max so that I was then working with Centimetres, so that any objects I created, were then related to this scale.

(Converting the scale to centimetres in 3D Studio Max)

The scale of the pump is 4x2x4 feet. So that I keep to these specific measurements, I decided to draw a plane just beneath where the model will be placed. I made this 120.92cm x 60.96cm so that it was equivalent to 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep. Later on in the project, I shall create another plane that will give me the guidelines for the vertical measurements. To create this plane, I selected 'geometry' and used 'standard Primitives'. Within 'Object type', I selected plane, and drew a rough square in the top view. I could then alter the width and length measurements within the parameters section.


(Plane created underneath where the model will go)

No comments:

Post a Comment