Friday 2 October 2009

Creating the lips and eye detail

(An image of the 3D face with lips and eye contours)

Using the same method I used to create the nostrils, I was then able to create the lips. Basically, I used the move command whilst holding down the shift key, which dragged out new polygons to create the lips. Then, using the weld tool, I was able to join all of the points together to make one moveable model. Minor adjustments needed to be made to ensure that all of the vertices were where they should be, so that the middle ones go in and the outer vertices protrude further than all of the others. The most difficult part of this stage was at the corner of the lips as it was very hard to only have polygons and no triangles or five sided shapes. Using trial and error, I was then able to get all of the polygons to line up and ensure smooth edges around the lips.
In order to create the contours around the eyes, I simply dragged the vertices out that were closest to the eyeball. Then, I dragged the vertices inwards that were on the next circle in, and finally dragged the next circle of vertices out. This created a ripple effect so that the eyes protrude then curve in and back out again towards the eyebrow.

(Final image of the lips separated)

Having created the lips, I then decided to make them a little more realistic by separating the gap slightly between each lip. This has now provided me with the option to animate the lips further down the line if I am able to get to this stage. Separating the lips was quite an easy process, as it required me to break the vertices that were welded together between the lips, and separate them apart. I then re-modelled the lips so that they were accurate to my original image. The hardest part of this stage was trying to replicate the lips exactly. I got quite a lot of pinching at the edges of the lips and under the lips. By moving polygons around and altering the depths, I was able to overcome this problem, although it took a very long time to get the polygons aligned correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment