Saturday 17 October 2009

Mapping - Part 2

(Copying my face in photoshop)
Using the original image that I took at the start of the project, I then started to cut parts of my face out of this image and into a new layer on my UVW map in Photoshop. As you can see from above, I did this by copying small patches across from one image to the other. The tool that I used for this was the lasso tool, which was made even easier by occasionally using the magnetic lasso tool to draw around parts of my face that had a line to trace. As the image at the bottom is a higher resolution than then the one above, when I copied the image across, it was far bigger. So, I had to use the scaling tool to make it a suitable size. I could also change the colour and contrast of the image by going to Image - Adjustments - Hue and Saturation. I then merged all of my layers together to become one. Using the rubber stamp tool, I was able to clone a part of my face, then draw over a particular area, which drew an area that matched the cloned area. This tool was very useful for filling in areas where there was no face patch to fill it. Another useful tool that I used was the 'patch' tool. This worked by selecting an area where two or more patches joined, but where a visible line showed. I then clicked this area and dragged it onto another similar area, which then blended in the area that I initially selected. This tool worked very well with the rubber stamp tool, because I could use the rubber stamp to fill in an area, then use the patch tool to join the edges, making it look like one complete image.

(Using the warp tool)

In a specific layer, I went to 'edit - transform - Warp' which brought up the 16 point object, as can be seen above. The warp tool is yet another good tool which I used excessively when mapping my image onto the UVW map. Using the warp tool, it allows me to stretch parts of the object in a particular direction. This was really useful because if a particular shape did not fit very well, then I could use the warp tool to pull it across to cover up gaps or make rounded objects more straight of visa versa.

(Face close to completion)

I continued with this process until the entire face had been mapped across. As can be seen from the image above, I have successfully managed to copy my face image across, and cover up any areas where patches joined. All in all, there are around 20 patches in the image above that I had to merge together to form one complete image. The trickiest areas were the eyebrow and front hairline. These parts proved to be very time consuming and took a lot of time to complete so that they looked natural without any dividing lines.


(Mapped image on my model)

The image above shows how the mapping appears onto my model in 3D Studio max. The way this works is that 3D Studio Max periodically checks any files that are associated with my model and updates them. This is really useful because I do not have to render the image every time. All I simply do is save my photoshop file, and 3D Studio Max automatically updates my model. This is similar to the way that the original photo's automatically updated when I added new topology lines at the beginning of this project. At this stage, I am pleased with the way that the mapping has appeared onto my model, so will continue to complete the mapping process.


(Mapping of face complete)

Continuing the same process of copying patches of my skin onto the image, I finally came to the stage above. It did not take me quite as long to do the right hand side as I was more familiar with the necessary tools required to build up the skin layer. (i.e. warp, patch, rubber stamp etc). I also rotated some of the patches as they were a better fit when I rotated them, rather than just leaving them level.

(The final outcome)

When I saved my photoshop file, then went into my 3D Studio Max model file, I was very surprised at how my model looked. I was initially expecting a model that would contain skin stretching and pinching. However, the skin looked very smooth and with very little pinching. I had to make some alterations to my photoshop file, particularly where the ears met the face. Modifications were made by going into the photoshop file, using the various tools to manipulate the image, then saving it. 3D Studio Max automatically updated the model accordingly. I could notice any errors that needed my attention by using the model, then addressing these errors in Photoshop.

As predicted, the mapping segment of this project was by far the most taxing of all. Arranging the polygons within the UVW edit mode was very difficult and time consuming. It was particularly difficult for the ears as there were so many overlapping lines. Cutting patches out of my face and pasting them onto my main image was also very difficult. This was because I had to make sure that I scaled every patch down to the correct size and arranged them in such a way that there were no dividing lines between them. Although the patch tool is a very useful tool, it is also very difficult to use. Ensuring that two or more joined patches look like one patch is very difficult and extremely time consuming. Even after completing the UVW image in Photoshop, when I looked at it in 3D Studio Max, there were still many modifications that I needed to resolve. Most noticeably, the rendering on the ears did not look correct. So, I had to keep making the alterations in Photoshop so that the shadows on my image matched the indentations on my model.

No comments:

Post a Comment