Tuesday 3 November 2009

Yet more work on the front panel

(Ball and cylinder to create the top of the front panel)
I noticed that at the top of the front panel of the model there is a shape that looks very similar to a standard cylinder with a circular dent in the top. As such, I created the cylinder and placed a sphere in the middle. Selecting the cylinder and choosing the Boolean tool, I was then able to chose the sphere as the operand B object, which then removed the sphere and left a nice dent in the top of the cylinder. I repeated this process, only with a long cylinder in the centre of the main cylinder this time, which provided the hole down the middle.


(The result of the two objects after the Boolean modifier)

As shown above, the effect is yet again very promising. I am very pleased with the replication of this front panel now and feel that it looks similar to the original image that I am working from. The cylinder that has been added at the front is a simple chamfered cylinder with the correct size and fillet level applied.

(NGon created for the nut)

Noticing that there are quite a lot of nuts and bolts within this model, I felt that it was a good time to start creating some. I also knew that once I had created one, I would be able to replicate it many times for most of the other nuts and bolts. So, I started by using the NGon tool within the splines modifier panel. This then provided me with the 6 sided shape as shown above. I then used the extrude tool, which gave me a 3 dimensional object. Converting this to an editable poly and selecting all of the edges, I then altered the chamfer level so that they became very rounded, rather than square. This then created the nuts shown below, and once bolts are placed within these nuts, it will then look far more realistic. Washers (Simple, very thin cylinders) have been placed below the nuts to add to the effect and to also match the original source image. I am now able to clone this object as and when I require more.

No comments:

Post a Comment