Tuesday 3 November 2009

Adding detail to the model


(Front panel detail)

Creating a standard chamfered cylinder and rectangle, I then set the chamfer (fillet) level so that it matched the rest of the front panel. I then scaled the cylinder and rectangle to the correct size and placed them onto the current model where they needed to go. The cylinder needed to protrude slightly as in the source photo, this section stands out more than the rest of the model.


(With Texture)

Adding the dark green texture that I have used for the rest of the model made the cylinder and rectangle look a lot more realistic in resembling my original source image.


(Cylinder and Torus)

As with many models in 3D Studio Max, there are many ways of creating them. For the gold colour section on the front, I decided that the best method here would be to create a cylinder and a torus, then use the Boolean too. So, once both objects were created I selected the cylinder. Using the Boolean tool in the compound objects section, I then selected the 'pick operand B' command, and chose the Torus. This then deleted the Torus and left me with a cylinder with the perimeter cut away.


(Cylinder after the torus has been removed)


As can be seen from above, the outcome is very effective. The Torus has been removed by the Boolean tool, and the cylinder has a nice indentation all around the edge. It took me a couple of attempts to get the Torus in the right position, primarily because the depth was quite hard to judge. Through trial and error, I managed to overcome this issue and was left with an object very similar to that of the one in my source photo.

(End base plate)

Behind the end base plate is a simple cylinder object. Although it is quite difficult to see this shape from the original source photo, I know that it is a cylinder because I remember this from when we visited the museum, and I also used some of our other photo's to confirm that this was in fact the shape behind the end base plate. To create the base plate itself, I used the lines spline tool. Within the front view, I drew a shape that was similar to the shape in the source photo. Using smooth in both the initial type and drag type within the creation method parameter, I was able to get a smooth edge around the object, rather than one that was rigid and too square. Converting it to an editable poly, selecting the polygon, then extruding it to the required length gave me some depth to the object. Finally, I rotated the object and positioned it to where it needed to go. There was some slight alterations that needed to be made to the size of it, but this was really just a finishing touch to get it to the perfect size as shown in my main source photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment