Thursday 19 November 2009

Preparing for animation and textures

As the rest of the group completed their modeling aspect of the project, I decided to make a start on the animation. The first thing that I noticed was that there was a section that needed to be removed from the base model. This section laid just where the front square was situated. With this section there, I would have been unable to animate the front arms because this would have got in the way. To remove this segment, I simply isolated the object, then used the cut tool to create lines around the area that I wanted to remove. I then selected 'polygon' in the editable poly mode and removed each polygon accordingly. I then needed to cap the ends as they were left vacant. The images below show where the section has been cut out (Creating a 'T' shape rather than two separate objects).

(Base before the section had been remove)

(Base after the section had been removed)

To make the model look even more realistic, I decided to start adding a few textures to see how the model looked once they were applied. I have added a red texture created in Photoshop onto the arms, and will be adding further textures at a later date. Changing the parameters, I was able to create an effect on the texture that made it look more metalic. I changed the texture to anistropic in the basic perameters and altered the specular highlight to create a reflection from any light that is cast onto it. The settings are shown below:

The image below shows the arms with textures applied:

The same technique was used for the metal caps and the ring around the front arm:

No comments:

Post a Comment