Wednesday 4 November 2009

Creating the animated arm (Part 2)



(Cylinder used to create the holes for the bolt)


As there is a bolt that goes through the end cylinders, I decided to create a tube that ran through both of them. I then cloned this object, making an exact copy. Using the Boolean tool, I selected one of the end cylinders, and chose the tube as the operand B. I repeated this for the other end cylinder. This then left me with a hole going through both end cylinders, ready for a bolt to be placed there.

(Bolt illusion added to the end of the arm)
As I knew that there would be an object placed between the two end cylinders, I decided that I did not need a bolt going right through both of them. As such, I copied one of the bolts that I had created previously and scaled it down so that it could be placed within the second cylinder. I made sure that it only protruded out the back of the model. As can be seen from the image above, this now will look like the bolt runs right the way through both cylinders, even though it does not.
(Extension of the arm added)

The extension of the arm was created by placing a sphere in the area where the bolt would have gone through. A simple cylinder then made the arm extension. I then cloned another nut and bolt, and placed this at the end ready to be connected to the end segment that Stuart is currently creating.


(Additional detail added to the top of the wheel)

Using the metal cap that Richard created, I placed this on top of a chamfered box slightly to the side of the wheel. We believe that these metal caps were used to pour oil into, in order to keep the machine well lubricated. I then created another two boxes similar to the first one, where I then placed them on top of the wheel. Using the clone tool, I then positioned a nut to the left side of the boxes and a bolt head to the right side of the boxes. This then gave the impression that the two boxes were held together by this bolt. The difficult part of this section was sizing the metal cap that Richard created. When I merged this with my document, it was far larger than what I required. As such, I then re-scaled the object so that it was a suitable size.

(Friction plate)

To create the friction plate, I simply drew a chamfer box and set the level so that it was only barely chamfered. As this made the plate look slightly rigid around the edge, I decided to add a Turbo smooth to this object, so that when it rendered it had a smooth surrounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment