Tuesday 10 November 2009

Final modeling stage


(Object located behind the front arms)

Behind the two front animated objects, there is one final object that the team agreed I would model. This object was created by using the line tool and drawing a simple rectangle. I then used the cut tool to draw in more lines down the middle so that more vertices appeared at either end of the rectangle. Using the uniform scale tool, I then selected these vertices at the end and pulled them out slightly, focusing on pulling the middle vertices out further than the ones towards the edge. This in turn created an arc shape on the ends (See above). I then extruded the object to the correct depth, and selecting the edge in editable poly mode, I capped the back so that it became solid.

(Objects created to be applied to the previous object)

As shown above, these three objects need to be included so that the previous object that I created can be applied to it. I created a chamfered cylinder that matched the same size as the one at the very front of the model. I then created another chamfered cylinder which was less than half a centimeter in depth, but slightly wider than the first one. Finally, I added a chamfered box which created the small stump that protruded from the middle cylinder.

(Objects all joined together)

The last task for this part of the project was to rotate the modified cylinder and place it into position onto the other three objects. This has now finalised the small arm that is located behind the two front animated arms. As you can see from above, this is now a very close representation of my original source photo.

(Additional detail to the end arcs)

Just when I thought that the model was complete, I noticed that there was a bolt and two triangles at either end of the model, attached to the end arcs. So, I cloned a bolt, and placed it in the correct position above. I then used the lines spline tool to draw a triangle, and extruded it in the usual way with a slight chamfer modification. I then cloned this object and placed it on the other side of the bolt. Cloning these three objects, I then moved a copy of them down to the other end of the model.


The modeling aspect of this assignment, for me, is now virtually complete, although I am sure that there will inevitably be some additional work required. I will be adding the adequate textures to the model, as at present, the modeled aspects are only coloured rather than textured. This will be done alongside the other members of the group. We will then collate all of our created models on Thursday 12th November, where we will hopefully have a completed model. Once textures have been applied, we will then animate the model using the videos that we took. Lighting and video caption will then be adhered to in order to have a final movie that we will then show to the museum.

Below are a selection of images of the finished model (without textures) from various angles:


(Final image of model)

(Final image of model - Close-up)

(End view of model)


(Rear view of model)

(Diagonal rear view of model)

1 comment:

  1. Nice eye for detail mate, this is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete